Thursday, July 25, 2013

What we're reading - Summer 2013

 


      Our Family Read-Alouds:

 Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
So much fun! What a perfect summer read aloud!  We heard that this was the summer production at The Aurora Fox Theatre in town, so we thought it would be a perfect choice to kick off our summer reading!  What's not to love about chocolate, a crazy candy-maker, tiny singing oompa loompas, a hero named Charlie and 4 perfect bratty examples of how NOT to behave : )
We all had a blast reading this, seeing the play and watching the original movie (which is surprisingly pretty much spot-on compared to the book) Mrs. Piggle Wiggle by Betty MacDonald 


  
  Scout's Reading: 
Little Pear by Eleanor Frances Lattimore and  
The Day of the Dragon King by Mary Pope Osborne. (Can you tell we studied Ancient China this summer?)  This was actually the first book the Scout read all the way through at one time.  She went to bed reading Chapter 2 and then walked into our room at 9:45 with a huge smile on her face to announce that she had just read the entire book.  Made me really happy : ) 
  


  Scout's Read Alouds: Shakepeare Stories II by Leon Garfield and 
                                    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estess.
 
River's Read-Aloud: Squaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt
These books are perfect for River, because they are about getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things - which he doesn't necessarily like to do.  They are so sweet and it really encourages the reader to take risks and change things up sometimes to have new adventures.

                            
Ally's summer reads:
Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
This book is amazing.  So inspirational! I really didn't expect it to be so good.  I made my mom read it immediately and Tony read it as well and loved it.  Divergent is the first book in a trilogy by Veronica Roth.  It's like the new Hunger Games I guess.  I literally could not put in down.  Read in straight through in a couple of sittings and stayed up way too late reading.  Tony's reading it now too and likes it, so it has "guy approval" too I guess.  I'm already half way through the second book in the series and ended up buying on my kindle (which I hardly every do unless they are free) because I just couldn't wait my turn for the library copy.  So far it's totally worth the $5.99 I spent.

Tony's Read:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

























No comments:

Post a Comment