Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Deceptively Declicious... Banana Bread and Coffee Cake


I decided to combine these into one post because for some reason I didn't get any pics of the cauliflower puree that I used for the banana bread and the coffee cake was sort of a flop so it didn't deserve it's own post : )

The banana bread recipe has actually been one of my biggest successes so far.  The only major problem is that the kids weren't really into it.  But, Tony really liked it (shocker!) and I liked it too - with a cup of coffee : ) It's not super sweet, so the coffee brings out the subtle sweetness.  I think I acted a little too excited about it, for the kids to be into; they sensed that something was up... 







 











The batter






Ugh! The Coffee Cake.  Just the name makes me smile, because it describes 2 of my most favorite things; coffee and cake. Yum! right?  Well, this was definitely not Yum : (

The recipe called for butternut squash puree and I was amazed by the following:

1. How simple it was to cook the squash
2. How much puree one squash made
3. How beautiful it was and how good it tasted!
(Ryder is really gonna enjoy this in a couple months : )



The Batter : ) 













Now, here's where it all went wrong.  The recipe called for spreading the butternut squash puree over
 half the batter and then sprinkling it with marshmallows.  If you look closely, you can see the orangey mush...



The kids were more than happy to help with the marshmallows : )





We were all so optimistic!











This is the crunchy topping that was supposed to bring it all together...









I REALLY wanted to like this, but unfortunately the butternut squash gave it a slimy texture that just didn't work (sad face)  At least the coffee was good lol! 

No comments:

Post a Comment