Monday, July 23, 2012

Tri like a Mother!


 On August 5th my beautiful Mama and I will Tri for the Cure.  I never would have dreamed that we would be doing this together - 3 months after I had baby #3 and 3 years since my mom had breast cancer. 
When my mom called to tell me she had breast cancer, it totally rocked my world.  I had obviously heard of breast cancer before, but I'd never been close to someone who had any type of cancer, much less my own mother.  If you know my mom, you know that she is a truly remarkable, inspirational, incredible woman with a huge heart and more energy that anyone I know!  She's always good for a laugh and can entertain the masses.  There is NO ONE like my mother.  The thought of this beautiful, energetic woman having something as deadly as cancer just didn't make any sense. 
It has been a long journey but I am thrilled to say that she has been cancer free for 3 years! Woohoo!  And 2 weeks from today, she will proudly put on her bright pink swim cap and join other breast cancer survivors as they dive into the freezing water of the Cherry Creek Reservoir and complete a sprint triathlon (half mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run) 
Roughly 3,000 woman compete in the Tri for the Cure each year and watching the "survivor wave" is truly an incredibly experience.  Everyone gathers around to cheer for these amazing women. They have not only survived cancer, they are celebrating life and living it to the fullest!  I can't express how proud I am that my mom will be one of them.  I guarantee that I will have tears in my eyes as I cheer for her. ( and I'll be thinkin "I know that water is freezing cold! lol!)
Mom has trained so hard and she's gonna be awesome!  My wave leaves a bit after hers so our plan is to meet up for the bike and run. 
Training together has been a blast as you can imagine with this crazy lady.  She is easily distracted by the Colorado wildlife (including bunny rabbits) and has actually fallen off the bike at least once lol! And every time we swim in the Aurora reservoir I swear we going to get hypothermia or be eaten by a fish.  I feel unbelievable bless to Tri with my mother : )





1 comment: