Sunday, June 30, 2013

TriBella 2013


So what do you do when you wake up 5 days before your first triathlon of the season with a sore throat?  You pray it goes away and then make an appointment to see the doctor.  (side note: Besides OBGYN I have not been to the doctor since college)  I actually ended up seeing a Nurse (not a PA, an RN) because that was the only thing available the next day.  She prescribed an inhaler and smilingly told that I'd feel much better in no time at all.  "Should I just rest the next couple of days before my race?" I asked her.  "Oh no, you are at the end of it, so rest won't help.  In fact, working out is the best thing you can do."  I was more than pleased with this diagnosis.  Until, I went home an experience 2 of the worst nights I've had in my entire life.  So what do you when you've been up all night coughing, wheezing, barely able to breath?  You might think the ER?  Oh no, you strap the bike to the car, pack your backpack, and set you alarm for 5:30am so you can Tri like a mother!  Yep, that's how us hardcore triathlete mamas do it : )

 I'm pretty sure everyone is the race thought I had a serious smoking problem, I was coughing and wheezing so much.   I actually ended up having a little panic attack when I started the swim.  The waves were really high and I breathed in water a couple of times and couldn't catch my breath.  I really thought I was gonna swim to the kayak and be done.  I thought "great, I've already messed up my best event and I feel like crap; this just isn't meant to be."  But, I dug deep and pulled it together and I'm really proud of myself for finishing.  I'm so grateful for my good friend Ashley who was there to laugh with and celebrate with at the end.  We actually crossed the finish line together : ) This was actually my best time too, so I'm excited to do my triathlons in August in good health (hopefully!)  So that sums up June's goals and resolutions for my Happiness Project.  My goal was to "celebrate being a healthy, strong and awesome woman at the TriBella!"  Maybe not the "healthy" park but I definitely celebrating being "strong and awesome"!













No comments:

Post a Comment